You can now download the 2.0.10 version
which is the first stable 2.x version. There are no visible changes in the application user interface, but the core engine has been significantly optimized and improved:
- The application starts up in much less time; the font cache is rebuilt only when it is really needed and it no longer consumes hundreds of megabytes of memory.
- The splash screen is displayed earlier and the initialization time has been reduced to 40% of the previous 2.0.x versions.
- A new image cache is used when working with images in documents. Huge images can be used without trouble and the creation of the downsampled images used on screen is now done in the background.
- Documents which include lots of images take less time to save; the images won't be recompressed every time.
- Loading of documents from a network share is significantly faster; the application becomes available as soon as enough information has been loaded to display the first page.
- Saving a document first saves in a temporary file and only then does it replace the previous file; in the event of a crash while saving a file, you won't lose the previous version, at least.
- The text rendering engine is now 3 times faster and the layout of a text document of more than one page becomes possible without falling asleep waiting for the next key press to become visible, but more work is still needed in this area
- Our custom open/save dialogs are faster than before.
- The samples have been updated to use the new text objects.
We are aware that there are still lots of possible improvements. What are you missing? What can we do better? Please send us an e-mail (the address is bugs [at] creativedocs.net) or post a comment in the blog.